Apr 12, 2011

Sooner Dairy Lunch


Since this blog is all about exploring Oklahoma like a local, I have to share one of my favorite burger spots in Norman. It just so happens that I can walk to this place from my house, making Sooner Dairy Lunch a frequent destination for our family. Judging by the Norman Transcript Reader's Choice awards lining the counter, I can tell I'm not alone.

Located on Main Street a little east of I-35, Sooner Dairy Lunch has been serving up handmade burgers and malts for 56 years. I suspect little has changed in terms of the menu or car fulls of customers since opening in 1954. The drive-in is open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday and closed Sunday and Monday.



More often than not, Randy greets us at the counter window to take our order. He's the son of the original owner and is part of the second generation who operates the family business. Randy claims he's more of a people person than his brother who opts to work the grill.

I ordered a cheeseburger and couldn't resist a handmade chocolate shake. I love that the food comes wrapped in white butcher paper, reinforcing the classic simplicity of this entire dining experience.

Most customers choose to eat in their cars or outside on the picnic tables. Grayson was entertained by the bar stools at the small inside counter so that's where we enjoyed our meal. Our vantage point made it easy to hear Randy greeting customers by name and catching up on family news with the regulars.

After enjoying our meal, we decided a trip just isn't complete without some cold soft serve for the walk home.


1 comment: